Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Snow on trees

I'd just started agreeing with my friend Melissa, that Snow was a 4 letter word.  More snow came in the night, on the heels of a wicked rainstorm that kept me awake from 2-4 am, while everyone else in the house slept.

 By the time we were up in the morning, the flurries had started to fly.  
I wanted something warm.  It had been so nice and lovely yesterday, I just wanted it to stay spring forever.  

Alas, that was not the way it was going to work out. 

However, on the upside, I was going to host Java-n-stitch in the morning.  I poked around for something to make, but we were out of many things, I needed to go to the store.  We had a couple tubes of biscuits, and that reminded me of something I saw on Pinterest.  Orange Biscuits! So I checked out that recipe, and improvised.    Instead of using orange zest, orange juice, and sugar, I used a half a jar of orange marmalade and half a stick of butter.  I melted them in the microwave for a minute, stirring so they didn't burn up, and then covered each biscuit with the glaze before laying it my greased bundt pan.   I lined up 2 tubes for 16 biscuits total, and then used the rest of the glaze as a topping.  Frankly it smelled divine, especially as it cooked.  I baked for 30 minutes at 375, which was plenty of time to get the biscuits cooked, but the top got a little crunchy.  They were really good with the pot of fresh tea I cooked up too.  

My friend brought her 3 year old daughter Lila over, and the kids played a bit together.  It's so fun that Jacob is getting old enough to Play like a big kid. 

After our playdate, I needed to go to the store, so I met my friend Melissa at Costco.  And with the snow blowing I gave more than a little consideration to just sitting tight.  Going nowhere was very tempting, but we were out of almost everything.  I got in the car, agreeing to meet for lunch first, and went driving behind the Park.   I'm so glad I did.  It was Beautiful.  So beautiful that I could have just turned around and gone home then, but I didn't.  I got groceries and a few pictures too.

The rain came first in the middle of the night, so that everything was wet, and the snow and wind came let it cling to the trees like tinsel in March.   It was breathtaking.

  The pictures barely do it justice.  It was beautiful.  And I was rather a dangerous driver sticking my arm and camera out the window.  If I'd had the Beast, I could have really done some good work.  But these are still lovely.  I particularly love that as we returned home, the snow still clung to the trees, but the snow had begun to melt from the ground, which had been nice and toasty from the 60 degree days before.  So it looked amazing.  It was the best kind of snow: beautiful to look at, yet not sticking to the roads, so not too dangerous.