Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Jellystone Knightstown Campout, Day 2

My snuggle buddy upon waking.  

We got stuck in the rain again. Apparently, they were calling it the 'guacamole showers', where the map shows a dark center over Kentucky and lighter green storms radiating outwards, it looks like an avocado.  And it's rain.  We got rained in Friday night, with internet on the fritz.  It worked out ok, we taught the kids some card games.  And Nana had an ipad.  But then our neighbors started partying late, and kept it up until midnight.  Too bad for them.  Our kids were up at 7.  We tried to keep them quiet.  But it's hard to keep this kind of Cuteness quiet. 

Nana broke out her ipad.  
Charlie got the pukies.  
The running theory was too much sugar before bedtime.  But I wanted to keep her away from any kids other than ours until we knew for sure.  She's hard to keep down.  There was no way my kids were keeping away from her.  They wanted to play.  

Chairs in the mud. 
The aftermath of the rain from the day prior, and my chair is sinking into the mud.  

And another round of storms rolls through.  

I forgot to take a picture of Chris's mouth after getting his braces adjusted.  At the beginning of July, he had surgery to open the gum to see where that tooth was, immediatly it started to descend.  Thursday he went in for an appointment and they loved the look, and put a bracket on it.  His smile is looking so good, I don't know how much longer he'll need braces.  Such an adult smile!

Check out our Bathroom! 
So Grateful our camper has it's own potty.  It prevents us from having to go up the hill in the rain.  We decided not to do #2 in there, just #1 unless emergency.  We have Thieves wipes.  And Thieves Foaming Hand Soap.   And Thieves Bar Soap.  Camping is a dirty activity. I wouldn't do it without Thieves. 

As the next round of rain set in, the kids returned to resume similar activities.  Crazy Eights and  Ipad games with Nana.  Good Times. 

Eric was undeterred by the rain. 
He decided we were cooking out for lunch.  He'd moved the wood into our car the night before, so we still had dry wood. Thank goodness.  Wet would never have lit.
We'd brought a ton of meat, hot dogs and hamburgers.  They needed cooking. 
Sure, we have a small stovetop and microwave in the camper, but it's not going to cook for 7 people.  
He stood in the rain, over the "smolder" trying to get it to catch.  
It felt like he was at it for hours.  I'm sure it wasn't.  
But the man was persistant!

It worked! 
He got enough fire going between raindrops that we were able to start a fire. 
It was just enough to cook some hot dogs.  
The kids took over for Eric.  

Kids grilling out! 

Mmm!  Don't those Dogs look good!  
I love this picture of them cooking their lunch. 

And of course, no camp cookout is complete without cooking out some S'mores!
The rain was light during lunch, but we were expecting another big round in time for dinner.
So if we were going to do S'mores, it was going to need to be during our lunch 'break' in the rain. 

Mmm.  Reese's Peanut Butter Cup S'mores. 
That's My Favorite! 
The kids did a great job burning up a marshmallow for me. 

In the late afternoon, before the last round of rain hit, we hit the playground at the top of the hill.  
There was a tie-dye activity going on.  There was a nasty line.  The kids opted to go play on the empty swings while I waited. 

They were pretty sweet out there on the playground. 
I didn't fight too hard at stopping them to do tie-dye. 

 It was the only playing Charlie got to do, and it was because there weren't any other little kids nearby.  Only, they never came back to tie dye. 

The kids played on the swings, while I did they tie-dye myself.  
Then they got soaked and filthy.  And it started to rain again. 
Good times. 
Eric took them to a brief swim in the pool in the rain.  I tried miserably to nap, it didn't work well.  
But at least they got out of the camper for a few minutes.

Snack Time. 
They got outside for a bit, and got soaked. 
After drying out, there were no clothes left but their jammies.  

Charlie brought some toys and the littles got to playing with them. 
Charlie was not happy we made her stay in, and not play with other kids, except ours. 
24 hour rule yo. 

Homework time.  
Even Camping is when Kumon gets done! 

Dinner was leftovers, casseroles that Lisa sent, and leftover dogs from lunch heated up in the microwave.  So Handy!  If you're going to get rained out on a campout, doing it in a sweet camper like this is the way to go. 

Dueling ipad time. 
After two days of rain, I caved and let all the boys bring their ipads in the camper after the last round of rain set in, they couldn't take any more, and neither could I.  I let them play.  
Jake and I went to bed, while the big boys played a little longer.  
It was sweet. I'm glad I held out a little while.